Thursday, September 14, 2006

Hammertime

In today's mail I received a full-color brochure for the Geraldine R. Dodge Poetry Festival which takes place September 28th through October 1st. What did I do to deserve such torture? I have never gone to the festival but have always wanted to. This year there will be readings from poets the likes of Robert Bly, Lucille Clifton, Billy Collins, Mark Doty, Jorie Graham, Linda Hogan, Galway Kinnell, Grace Paley, and Linda Pastan. And that's just the tip of the metaphorical iceberg! There is also going to be book signings, a tribute to Stanley Kunitz, and ensemble performances of Rumi just to name the highlights I'd be interested in. I don't know how these people got my address. I had forgotten all about the festival this year and now they had to go and ruin it by sending me the brochure. I can't travel because of the needs of my diabetic cat. Is the brochure some cruel, cosmic joke? And why do I have MC Hammer's song "Can't Touch This" going through my head now? There he is, dancing across my imagination in those weird pants. But thanks to the internet, he doesn't have to stay in my imagination. At least I've stopped dwelling on the poetry festival, now I just have to find a way to get Hammer out of me head. There is one festival I will definitely be attending this year. The Twin Cities Book Festival on October 14th. Kelly Link is going to be there and I will be cruising the used book fair and the lit mag fair. This is something quite fun to look forward to. The book gods must like me at least a little. Unless of course they are just dangling the carrot and will dance away with it singing "can't touch this!" just before the festival.