Saturday, July 23, 2005

Used Book Shopping

Today is shaping up to be hot and steamy. Nothing to do but stay indoors with a cold drink and a good book. I have plenty of good books around here and just added a few more yesterday from a trip to the used bookstore. I buy enough books at the regular bookstore you'd think I wouldn't need used ones too. But darn it, how can a girl say no to a book that only costs $5? I must have been in a travel mood yesterday because I picked up a copy of Bruce Chatwin's Songlines, about the songlines of aboriginal Australians, and Alain de Botton's The Art of Travel in which he ruminates on the reality versus the expectations of travel. I began reading this last one yesterday afternoon and am thus far enjoying it. I also picked up a copy of Roberto Calasso's Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony. I've seen the novel there in the mythology section the last few visits to the store. I resisted it's lure until yesterday. And finally, a book to add my collection of historical books on witch hunting, Witch Hunters: Professional Prickers, Unwitchers and Witch Finders of the Renaissance. It's a slim book given it's contents, and appears to focus on a select few "professional" or famous witch hunters. I suspect I may find it lacking in depth and so end up disappointed, but I am still glad to give it a home in my collection.