Monday, July 18, 2005

Catching My Breath

Now that the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince reading marathon is over I reluctantly return to the usual daily activities. Reading marathons are delightfully decadent, especially when your husband encourages, "Read, read!" He had his motives; he wasn't going to get to the book until I had finished. I did not start the book intending to finish it over the weekend. I thought I'd take my time and finish it tonight or tomorrow (yes, yes, "delusional" is the word for this). I didn't even start reading until Saturday afternoon. I took frequent, albeit short, breaks. I didn't stay up late. But Sunday came, hot and unbearably muggy. Nothing to do but read. And read. And read some more. I finished the book last night around 9:30 much to my pleasure and sadness. Now I have to wait a few years to find out what happens! I will not say anything about the story other than it is wonderful. J.K. Rowling is an amazing writer. She is a master at backstory, pacing and choosing just the right detail to illuminate a character or scene. Where did this woman learn to write so well? Now I get to impatiently wait for my husband to finish the book. It's going to be so hard not to ask him, "Did you get to the part where...?" I will be biting my tongue and urging him to "Read, read!"