Monday, April 03, 2006

Monday Miscellany

My Bookman and I enjoyed an afternoon at the Walker Art Center on Saturday. The Kiki Smith exhibit was disturbing and moving. Aside from Kiki though there wasn't much on display in the permanent collection that we really like. In Kiki's art I understand the birth and death and violence work. But what does one do when confronted by a piece (not by Kiki) consisting of three very large square canvas panels one painted primary red, one primary yellow, and one primary blue? We stood there looking at it and all I could say was, "well the artist sure has good paint consistency." So then we got silly. The docent was laughing at us as we took turns standing in front of each color to see which one we looked better against. For the record, my Bookman looked best against the red and I best against the blue. Since it didn't turn out to be a weekend in which I did much reading, here are a few links to hold you over until tomorrow when I can gush about what the wrapped up book-shaped objects on the living room bookshelf are.

  • In case you've been living under a rock, it's National Poetry Month. To help you celebrate, Knopf will send a Poem a Day to your email box. And so far there have also been links to podcasts of readings other works by the day's poet.
  • With my impending B-Day, I took great interest in the Guardian article on reading lamps. It turns out to be more humorous than useful, but any reader who is no longer in her 20s will appreciate it.
  • Abdul Rahim Muslim Dost, former Guantanamo "detainee," wants his poetry back but so far the US Military won't give it to him--insert expletives about that here.
  • This one could be book related. If you live in South Carolina you can now legally get a tattoo. I've mentioned before I have a couple tattoos. Nothing bookish though--yet. If you are in SC and do get something bookish, I'd love to hear about it. Heck, even if you aren't in SC and have a bookish tattoo I'd love to hear about it.