Thursday, April 06, 2006

Foiled

The post I was originally planning this evening has been spoiled by the page no longer being available. I was going to link an op-ed piece by Anthony Doerr I found at Maud Newton's. The piece is called "Doozy Of A Decimal System." I searched The Morning News website where it appeared yesterday to no avail. Maybe the article was removed due to an uproar or something. Anywho, if you didn't catch it, Doerr complained that libraries are horrible places that take away book sales from authors who are trying to make a living with their art. He insists that if you like an author you should buy the book and buy it as a hard cover. Uh-huh. Maybe Mr. Doerr thinks that everyone who reads makes so much money they can afford to buy 50+ hard cover books a year. If it weren't for libraries and used bookstores I'd be hard put to read as much as I do. I have fond childhood memories of going to the library. The day I was able to check out a book from the regular stacks instead of the kid's area was a banner day. I was so proud. I felt grown up and smart and ready to take on the world of all those books. What a stupid thing for Mr. Doerr to worry about. What he should be worrying about are the people who don't read, or worse, can't.