Saturday, March 18, 2006

Saturday Amusements

A few links to pass along this morning.

  • Stanford University has a community reading program with the aim of rediscovering the 19th century. This year the focus is on Sherlock Holmes. Standford is kind enough to archive last year's reading of Charles Dickens
  • Where do you go if you are hankering for a Latin classic? Why the Latin Library of course! It's all there for free. The only catch is, you have to be able to read Latin.
  • You have until April 1st to vote for your favorite story to win the Million Writers Award at StorySouth.
  • (Dead) Body snatching is a hopping trade. Now you can read about it in a new book reviewed at Wired
  • The Guardian has an article by Tom Stoppard in which he argues that free speech is not a human right. I understand what he's getting at but I disagree.
  • Sorry if I've linked this before, but I can't remember if I have or haven't. January Magazine has a profile of Anne Rice in which she discusses why she gave up writing about vampires and witches.
  • I'll be back later today with some Emerson! Update. The Latin Library link was not working earlier but is now fixed. Sorry about that.