Thursday, October 27, 2005

Feeling Used

A trip to the used bookstore has added some new finds to the shelves, only one of which I was actually looking for.

  • Moo Pak by Gabriel Josipovici. Sandra got me excited about this book and it turns out that here in the States it is out of print. My library didn't even have it. I have been looking for it for a few months now and suddenly, there is was on the shelf. I snapped it up along with Touch. There was also a copy of In a Hotel Garden but I left it there since it is still in print.
  • Borges on Wrting. The book is a record of the 1971 seminars Borges presided over at Columbia University.
  • There were lots of novels by Peter Ackroyd on the shelf and it was hard to keep myself from grabbing them all, but I limited myself to one, English Music. What made me choose this one was the description on the back cover that mentions one of the characters has visions of Dickens.
  • And finally, a like-new copy of The Collected Stories of Isaac Bashevis Singer. I read is story "Gimpel the Fool" several years ago and it made me cry. I figure I am sufficiently recovered to read a few more stories.