Friday, July 23, 2004

On Journals

I began keeping a journal regularly when I was 12. I still have it and I still journal. So I was fascinated when I came across The 1000 Journals Project. The project

is an independent, privately funded social experiment. It is an attempt to follow 1000 journals throughout their travels, to see where they go and what people do with them. The idea of passing the journals on can be traced to the Exquisite Corpse, a technique used by surrealists as a kind of collective collage of words or images.
So far one journal has returned. The others are still traveling the world. Sometimes someone scans a page or two and sends it in. The site has a gallery that would make any journal junkie jealous. I know I am. And while I'm on the subject of journals, can anyone tell me why Moleskine journals are supposed to be so fabulous (other than famous people used them) and why they are better than other types of notebooks? I have never heard of them until recently and I am always on the look out for a good journal never having found one yet that completely satisfies me.