Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Five Things...

No one has ever accused me of being an innovator or an early adopter. I usually fall in somewhere among the crowd, as with the "five things" meme. Since I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts, it's a good crowd to fall in with. So here you go, five things you probably not know about me:

  • I was one of the inaugural players on my high school girls varsity soccer team. Thanks to Title IV and a bunch of girls who wanted to play, we got teams together at all of the district's high schools. I had never played soccer before in my life other than goofing around. I was not in shape and I thought I was going to die after the first day. But everyone who tried out got on the team because we had just enough players. I played left fullback and had so much fun I tried out the second year when there were more girls and the coach could have said no. I had improved enough I sometimes got to play halfback. At the end of the season I was voted "Most Inspirational" by my teammates and got a little trophy for my efforts.
  • One of my fondest memories is a day home sick from school. I spent it in bed reading That Darn Cat which included still photos from the Disney movie. My mom brought me glasses of 7-Up and for lunch I got a grilled cheese sandwich.
  • I love to knit. I have been knitting since I was sixteen when my mom took a community education class and then taught me how to cast on, bind off, knit and purl. My mom doesn't knit anymore but I have kept at it and have made sweaters, scarves, blankets and socks. One day I hope to make one of those fancy Norwegian ski sweaters. However, due to tendonitis in my right wrist that developed my senior year of college and which is frequently aggravated by my job where I work on a computer all day, I am by necessity a slow and infrequent knitter (I often have to wear a brace on my wrist), so it takes me a very long time to finish anything.
  • I can lift both my left and right eyebrows independently of each other. When I am skeptical about something someone is telling me I have a tendency to lift one of them like Mr. Spock. This drives my husband crazy and he is always telling me to put my eyebrow down.
  • I like ketchup, tomato soup, and spaghetti sauce but I hate, and will not eat, tomatoes.
Update. Yeah, um, that first one, about the soccer? Yeah, that should be Title IX as in nine, not four. My husband kindly pointed it out to me. So now you know I stink at Roman numerals too!