Wednesday, January 18, 2006

It's Getting Hot, Hot, Hot!

Is it getting warmer or is it just me? After reading Bill McKibben's global warming essay and book review I'm convinced I am not experiencing some kind of super weird and WWWAAAAYYYY too early form of menopause. I know there is something really wrong when winter after winter in Minnesota, not exactly a balmy place to be November through April seem to be getting more and more mild. I mean it was 25 degrees today, supposed to be 30 tomorrow and two weeks ago it was 45. In January! It's supposed to be about 10 degrees or lower this time of year. I mean, what are we going to do when we can't complain about the cold anymore? The books under review sound fascinating, especially Thin Ice. But I am not inclined to read them for fear that they will make me even more depressed over the state of the world. I mean, McKibben's concluding sentences are enough to make a person cry:

We are forced to face the fact that a century's carelessness is now melting away the world's storehouses of ice, a melting whose momentum may be nearing the irreversible. It's as if we were stripping the spectrum of a color, or eradicating one note from every octave. There are almost no words for such a change: it's no wonder that scientists have to struggle to get across the enormity of what is happening.
How is it that humans manage to be so smart and so stupid at the same time?