Thursday, December 29, 2005

My Favorite Five in '05

It's close enough to the end of the year that I think I can safely list the books I liked best in 2005. Sad to say, a large number of the books I read in 2005 were bought this year and did not come from the TBR pile. I've linked the titles to previous posts about the books. So without further ado:

  1. Till We Have Faces C.S. Lewis. I love a good story based on an old myth.
  2. The Sea, the Sea by Iris Murdoch. Beautifully written love story.
  3. The Rings of Saturn by W.G. Sebald. This was pretty close to wow. I still haven't figured out how one book can be about so many things.
  4. Writing with Intent: Essays, Reviews, Personal Prose, 1983-2005 by Margaret Atwood. Worshipping at the Shrine of Atwood.
  5. Out of Silence: Selected Poems by Muriel Rukeyser. This book has poems that made me laugh, cry, angry, you name it. An emotional rollercoaster ride.
I managed to finish 55 books, the same number I read last year. I was hoping to make it to 60 but at least I didn't slip!