Sunday, December 25, 2005

A Few Links

Here's a few links for you to browse while you are taking a break from Christmas and Hankkah celebrations.

  • Harry Potter keeps kids out of the emergency room
  • Teenagers lack reading stamina. The guessed at cause is schools' reliance on excerpts and short stories when it comes to teaching literature. The article is about British schools. Since it's been a long time since I was in grade school and I don't have kids, I wonder if the same issues come up in the US? But if kids can get through Harry Potter in a weekend, it proves they have stamina, they just need encouragement.
  • Maybe 2006 is the year you will finally get published. If you win the Get Published, Get Publicized contest your book book will not only be published by Adams Media, but you will also receive up to $20,000 worth of book publicity from Planned Televison Arts and The Spizman Agency. All you have to do is send in your nonfiction book proposal by April 15, 2006. What could be easier? The book doesn't even have to be done yet.
  • The Guardian has an original Christmas short story by Jeanette Winterson
  • When books are foisted upon you...
    And I am sure I am not alone when I state that cavalierly foisting unsolicited reading material upon book lovers is like buying underwear for people you hardly know. Bibliophiles are ceaselessly engaged in the mental reconfiguration of a Platonic reading list that will occupy them for the next 35 years: First, I'll get to "Buddenbrooks," then "The Man Without Qualities," then "The Decline of the West," and finally "Finnegans Wake." But I'll never get to "Finnegans Wake" if I keep stopping to read books like "The Frontier World of Doc Holliday."