Sunday, November 27, 2005

Holiday Help

My Bookman and I have decided to make charitable donations to Heifer International as holiday gifts this year. We'd like to also send a book to the people we are donating on behalf of that somehow relates to the donation. For instance, to those for whom we are donating a hive of honeybees we'll send a copy of Sweetness and Light: The Mysterious History of the Honeybee. But we are stumped as to what to send to those for whom we are donating a flock of chicks. The chicks will be egg layers, though I have no illusions about the fact that they will also get eaten someday. I don't want to send a cookbook, nor anything to do with Chicken Soup. The only book I can come up with is Chicken Little. Since it is for adults, I'd rather send something a little more grown up. Anybody out there know of a book in which chickens are prominent? These are not poetry reading people so any fiction or nonfiction suggestion will be most appreciated.