Thursday, October 13, 2005

All Over the Place

I feel like my reading has been really scattered of late, maybe even over the last few months. I am not getting to the books I have been wanting to read, it seems I just grab whatever is closest or what I feel in the mood for. It is beginning to distress me. Maybe I need a plan. But the thought of a plan distresses me too, makes me worry I won't be able to read anything on a whim. Oy, what to do? Currently I am reading Clarissa, so far it's quite fun. I am still reading Anthropology of an American Girl. I had high hopes for this book but we are not clicking. I am 160 pages into it and I keep waiting to get sucked in. It doesn't seem like I am going to but at this point I don't feel like I can quit either so it makes picking up the book that much harder. I started reading Italo Calvino's Six Memos for the Next Millennium and stopped in the middle of the first lecture. It's good and I planned on picking it up again right away but haven't managed to. Then there is a book of short stories, The Lone Surfer of Montana, Kansas. I'm not a short story fan but am so far enjoying these. And finally, I'm 3/4 of the way through a silly but fun nonfiction book called The Underdog. It's about a guy who tries all kinds of non-mainstream sports like arm wrestling and running backwards. He's a 130 pound vegetarian. So far I thought the chapter on sumo wrestling was the most amusing. And the tbr pile keeps growing and the holidays will be here before I know it and there will be more books on the pile. It's maddening!