Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Ultimate in Alternative Reading Locations

Here at so many books I've talked about reading in bed, alternative reading locations, reading chairs and reading chaises but I have yet to talk about reading in the bathroom. I am not referring to reading while soaking in a bubble bath. I am talking about reading while you are doing--you know. So do you? Do you read while enthroned, so to speak? My husband is rarely without a book in the bathroom. Since I wear glasses for reading I don't generally choose to read while in the bathroom. It just seems too weird to bring my glasses with me. I can read without them, but I get headaches. Still, I've been lately thinking that bathroom reading might be a good way to squeeze in (is that a bad choice of wording?) a few more books each year. Reading a couple of paragraphs without my glasses shouldn't be a problem. But even before starting to wear glasses I wasn't a bathroom reader. I never really thought of it as a place to relax. You go there for a reason and it isn't for reading. Seeing how my husband manages to get through a book every three weeks or so, I'm ready to give it a try. Now the question is, what do you read in the bathroom? My husband goes in for mass market trash novels of the horror or thriller variety. Neither of those really interest me that much, not the least because horror gives me nightmares. But romance and mystery do not appeal either. Yet it can't be highly literary since it will be read only a few paragraphs at a time. This is where you come in. If you are a bathroom reader, please leave a comment with the title and author of your favorite bathroom read. And if you are too embarrassed to admit you read while on the toilet, then you can post your suggestion without even revealing who you are.