Thursday, August 04, 2005

A Romantic Excursion

I don't normally go in for books you find in the romance section of the bookstore but I got sucked in. Many years ago when my Bookman and I stilled lived in Northridge California, our public library had a box that sat outside its doors for people to drop their unwanted books into. One day in that box was a beat up mass market copy of Diana Gabaldon's book, Outlander. My Bookman picked it up. It was about time travel and Scotland and the Jacobite rebellion. He read it. He loved it. He made me read it. I loved it. We didn't know it was really a romance. Of course when Gabaldon turned the book into a series we had to continue. Admittedly the last one, The Fiery Cross, wasn't that great. But by that time we'd grown attached to the characters so we forgave them. On September 27th the sixth book in the series is due out. It is tentatively titled A Breath of Snow and Ashes. I am not looking forward to it as much as I would if book five had been better, but to say that I am not interested would be hiding the truth. To get readers worked up about the new book, there is the See Scotland Sweepstakes where you can enter to win a 6-day, 5-night Edinburgh getaway. See Scotland implies more than just Edinburgh, but if someone else is paying for the trip I won't complain about the sweepstakes title. But I guess I just did, so make that won't complain too much.