Monday, August 29, 2005

Reading Update

For some reason it feels like I haven't been reading much lately, but I don't think that's true. It's just that I'm in the middle of longer books so there is no satisfaction of completion on the horizon. But Labor Day Weekend is approaching and I will have three days away from work instead of the usual two. And oh what a difference a day can make. I've managed to read myself up to chapter 38 of part two of Don Quixote. He is currently at the home of the Duke and Duchess and they are having fun at his expense not to mention Sancho's who has to give himself several thousand lashes in order to free the peerless Dulcinea from her enchantment. This whole part of the story is making me sad because what the Duke and Duchess are doing is so very cruel. I have Nabokov's lectures that I am planning on reading but I haven't decided if I should wait until I finish the book or begin them soon. I'm also continuing on my way in Rings of Saturn by W.G. Sebald. Very good. I like how one little thing can send him off into a long and detailed story. Right now I'm reading all about Conrad because of a news report the narrator saw on the television. Also making my way through Anthropology of an American Girl. This is a very dense book and slow going. It also jumps quickly from scene to scene and I keep getting lost whenever my attention wanders. For a lunchtime reading book at work I am reading a light and fluffy book called Diana Lively is Falling Down. Diana is an architect who gave up her career to raise the children and take care of her snobby husband who is an Oxford Don and one of the world's foremost Arthurian scholars. They are currently being forced to move to America, Arizona to be exact, where Diana's husband is to be engaged as a consultant for an Arthurian theme park located not far from the London Bridge. And, as always, still reading Viriginia Woolf's diary. I am on volume two and she is in the middle of writing Mrs. Dalloway and falling in love with Vita (though she doesn't know it yet). Waiting on the nightstand and subject to usurpation is The Ghost Writer, Pattern Recognition, Sophie's World, The Fabric of the Cosmos, and The Kin of Atta are Waiting For You.