Monday, April 18, 2005

Brainy

Interesting transcript from a Radio National program called "All in the Mind." This interview is called Count Dracula, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde: Neurology and the Novel. (link via Mind Hacks) Scientific American Mind is a new magazine brought to you by Scientific American. If you haven't seen it yet check your newstand. I picked up a copy yesterday and the article about creativity in the brain is fascinating. Don't read it thinking you're going to get tips on being more creative though. The article is all about where creativity is located in the brain (right hemisphere) and how the left brain can block, mediate or foster what the right brain does. Turning, now, once again to graphic novels, I thought I'd share that I have begun reading Good-Bye Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson author of the acclaimed Blankets. I had planned on either Persepolis or Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth, but I'm waiting for them from my public library and my husband brought home Chunky Rice. Since I am not used to reading graphic novels it is somewhat slow going--I have to learn how to read the pictures and the words, not just the words. I have made it halfway through and so far I am enjoying it. I won't say I am crazy about it, but it's not going to put me off from reading the other two so that's good. I'll let you know how it all turns out when I am finished with it. Stay tuned...