Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Hot and Whiney

In a bit of a lull today, reading and otherwise. The otherwise is, I believe the heat and humidity getting to me--already. I say already because today is only 90 but it's forecasted to be 100 on Saturday. Plus it hasn't rained in weeks so the garden is a sad, wilty place. Even the birds are feeling it. When I got home from work there was a robin in the yard looking droopy and panting. The reading lull has arrived because I've finished three books over the last week. While I am still in the middle of several good books--Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and Swann's Way--and I have a tidy stack of books I've been wanting to read, there is that unavoidable lull for the short span in between endings and beginnings where I feel uprooted and lost. If it weren't so hot it probably wouldn't bother me, but when I'm hot, everything bothers me. I will be perking up shortly as I settle in to read for the evening. Also links like this one from reader Jenn are good too. She collects figures of people and animals reading and the link will let you see some photos of her collection. Her library even borrows them for display once a year and she says the photos only show a portion of what she has. Pretty spiffy! And my sister sent me a link to a news article about a complete first folio of Shakespeare's up for auction tomorrow at Sotheby's. It's expected to go for 3.5 million pounds, or $6.10 million U.S. I think we should take up a collection and purchase it. Then we could each take turns having it for a week or so before packing it up and sending it on to the next person. Whaddya think? I'm starting to feel perkier already! One more thing, Kate is starting up a short story reading group. All you out there, and you know who you are, who keep meaning to read more short stories, here's your chance. And Kate's making it really easy too. One story a month. I am feeling much better now than when I began this post. Thanks for putting up with my whine, assuming of course you did. I am off to start reading The Player's Boy by Bryher.