Monday, May 15, 2006

Books Are Important

I received Heifer International's news magazine in the mail yesterday. I don't usually think of Heifer International and books as having any kind of relationship, but there is a connection. Read to Feed is a program run by Heifer International to promote literacy worldwide. It encourages kids to read more while at the same time, through sponsored reading and education, raises money and awareness about issues of poverty and hunger. With the money the kids raise, they then get to choose their donation--a cow, some chickens, milk goats, etc. Not long ago, Read to Feed had an essay contest. The topic: "If I Had Million Dollars." The winning essay by Monicah, an eight-year-old third grader from Maine, is called "Books Are Important." I tried to find Monicah's essay online but couldn't, so here is the first paragraph:

If I had a million dollars I would buy books and open a bookshop called "Books Build Dreams." Reading is important because it builds dreams, imagination, and helps kids set more goals. It also helps kids become leaders. Every child would get one free book a month. On their birthday they could get two books and a bookmark. This free book a month would let them learn something new and have fun at the same time.
Monicah, if you ever get your million dollars, give me a call. I'd love to come help out at your bookshop.