Saturday, February 25, 2006

I Had No Idea...

I had no idea Edith Wharton wrote poetry until I opened my Writer's Almanac email this morning to find this:

When I am gone, recall my hair When I am gone, recall my hair, Not for the light it used to hold, But that your tough, enmeshed there, As turned it to a younger gold. Recall my hands, that were not soft Or white or fine beyond expressing, Till they had slept so long and oft, So warm and close, in your possessing. Recall my eyes, that used to lie Blind pools with summer's wreckage strewn. You cleared the drift, but in their sky You hung no image but your own. Recall my mouth, that knew not how A kiss is cradled and takes wing, Yet fluttered like a nest-hung bough When you had touched it like the Spring.
Maybe it's not the greatest of poems, but I think for a love poem, it does a well.