Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Quick Check-In

Thanks to everyone for the kind words about the writing class I am taking. Class last night was interesting. Not quite what I expected but not bad either. I do have some really annoying classmates, however. Like the one when we were introducing ourselves rambled on an on talking about all the essays she wrote without realizing they were essays and then telling us about some of them. Finally she wound down and said, "but I don't know what to say," shrugged her shoulders and stopped talking. I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing. Then there is the guy who, every time the teacher asks if there is a question he has one. But his are statements cloaked as questions. He is rather full of himself because all of his friends tell him what a good writer he is and he made it a point to make sure we all knew it too. He was sitting next to me and whenever he'd start in with his "questions" I'd slip into a daydream about stabbing him repeatedly with my pen. I must be sure not to sit next to him again, or, barring that, have nothing sharper than my pen with me in class. I am also the only blogger in the class. No one asked for the site address so I don't have to worry too much about anyone popping by and recognizing herself in a comment here. I say herself because there are only two men out of about 20 students. The assignment for next week is to read G.K. chesterton's "A Piece of Chalk", E.B. White's "Once More to the Lake" and Virginia Woolf's "Death of the Moth." Then were are to write a description or story of a "defining moment" of our own, something we might be able to turn into an essay. The hardest part will be deciding which defining moment of my own to use.