Thursday, September 08, 2005

The Home Stretch

Coming round the final turn and into the home stretch with Don Quixote. Sandra has finished it and liked it. I must say that I agree with her that deciding to read three chapters a week was not the best way to go about it. It did make it seem doable but, as she says, such an approach "impede[s] the narrative flow." I have a little less than 100 pages to go (and Susan is making a push for the end too). Last night DQ and Sancho left the castle of the Duke and Duchess. I admit that when Sancho gave up his governorship and then on the way back to the Duke's he and his beloved donkey feel into a pit, well, I got a little teary. Maybe not teary, but my eyes got moist. Sancho has a good heart and always the best of intentions and seeing him so sad and beaten--well it got to me. Have I ever mentioned that I get weepy over books and movies? I didn't used to, crying was for babies. But now it seems I've reached the point where the tears well up at the drop of a hat, or in this case, the drop of a Sancho and a donkey.