Thursday, March 17, 2005

Bits and Pieces

The snow hasn't begun yet and doesn't look like it will start until late tonight. That means there won't be enough to have a snow day at work tomorrow. That means my dreams of staying home and reading all day wrapped in a quilt and drinking hot chocolate have been crushed. I don't know why I even bothered to hope for a snow day, we haven't had one in the 4 1/2 years I have been working at my current place of employment. I can't help but be optimistic that maybe this time... Beatrice posts on a Marilynne Robinson/Mary Gordon reading and compares the their two books, Gilead and Pearl. I haven't read either of them yet but I have read both before. It seems to me the style assessment sums things up nicely. I can't say that I have read much in the way of Irish literature, but the Guardian has a list of top 10 Irish Journeys. Waterstone's has a list of 20 books with the best villains. Does Mrs. Havisham count as a villain?