Sunday, September 26, 2004

No Flowers for New O'Keefe Biography

I saw the review of a new biography of one of my favorite artists, Georgia O'Keefe, in the NYT Book Review. Unfortunately the reviewer didn't appear to think much of it. "O'Keeffe's early travails and triumphs make for a riveting story, even in Drohojowska-Philp's merely workmanlike pages" says the reviewer of the book, Full Bloom by Hunter Drohojowska-Philp. And then later on, "Yet as the pages turn, Drohojowska-Philp's account of O'Keeffe's life (like all the others I have read) becomes a fairly tiresome catalog of friends, enemies, love affairs, homes, vacations, illnesses, exhibitions, reviews, sales and awards." At least Drohojowska-Philp can take comfort in the knowledge that her's isn't the only book about O'Keefe that turns into a tiresome catalog. Not the kind of review that inspires me to want to read the book. I guess I will just stick to admiring the art.