Sunday, June 06, 2004

Movies and Books

Went and saw the Harry Potter movie today. It was pretty good, but it was not the book. But movies made from books never are the book anyway, they are two different things. As adaptations go, it had the skeleton of the book but there were so many cuts and changes that it was further from Rowling's original than the other two. Still, I liked the new Dumbledore, he was much more vigorous. I did not like the casting for Professor Lupin, though the actor did a good job, he just didn't look right. Emma Thompson was wonderful as Professor Trelawny (I'm not sure if I spelled that right and I don't have the book at hand, so please no one get their knickers in a bunch if it's wrong). Visually this Harry Potter movie was more artistic than the others but less interesting when it came to character development. Ah well. I am curious about how they will do the next movie as it seems like that one might, out of all the books so far, lend itself better to the big screen. That one is for next summer I imagine.