Monday, March 29, 2004

Camus and Sartre, Sartre and Camus

I came across a great review article at The Nation today about two books on Albert Camus and Jean-Paul Sartre, their friendship and the break up of their friendship. The books, Camus and Sartre: The Story of a Friendship and the Quarrel that Ended it and Satre and Camus are discusses along with their subject matter. I don't know much about either of them other than from a reader's standpoint. I read Camus' The Plague and The Stranger and an essay by Sartre, What is Literature. I still might have a copy of Being and Nothingness that I bought long ago when I was a morose teenager and was attracted by the title, but never actually tried to read. If I had I would have been very surprised I'm sure. The reviewer prefers Sartre and Camus, but don't read the review for that tidbit, read it because it is well written and interesting and provides a little historical and political perspective on the two men.