Thursday, October 05, 2006

Halloween Meme

Literate Kitten has a Halloween meme so I thought I'd take a book break and play along.

  1. What is you favorite work of horror fiction? This is hard because I don't read a lot of horror fiction because I have a tendency to get nightmares. So I'm going to go with Shirley Jackson's story "The Lottery" for sheer creepiness.
  2. What is your favorite work of science fiction/fantasy? I can't choose a favorite, there are too many, so I will say these are among my favorites. For science fiction, M.K. Wren's Phoenix Legacy (it's a trilogy) is a wonderfully suspenseful and intricately plotted space opera. And for fantasy I do love Lord of the Rings but that's pretty cliche these days so I'm going to say Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea books.
  3. Who is your favorite monster? Medusa. I love her snaky hair and feel a special kinship since my hair tends to wild frizz.
  4. What horror movie gives you the most chills? The better question is which one gives me nightmares on the most consecutive nights? The Exorcist for sure with The Shining coming in a close second.
  5. Freddy versus Jason? Freddy. Everybody has to sleep sometime.
  6. What is your favorite Halloween treat? When I was a kid it was miniature Butterfingers. Now it is the more prosaic unpasteurized apple cider.
  7. Ghosts or goblins? Ghosts. They're everywhere.
  8. What is your scariest encounter with the paranormal? I'd say the time I was in college and six of us were playing Ouija board by candlelight on my dorm room floor and all of us jumped at the same time because we each had received what felt like an electric shock.
  9. Do you believe in ghosts? I don't want to, logic says they don't exist. But maybe, just maybe, they do.
  10. Favorite Halloween costume? If we go to a Halloween party at my house it is at our ballroom dance studio so we must be able to dance in our costumes. My favorite one was a few years ago when my husband and I dressed up like spiders. We got fuzzy black fabric, I sewed arm-length tubes, and we stuffed them. Then sewed them to the sides of black mock-turtleneck shirts, three to each side. The arms were attached together by fishing line that was attached to our real arms so the fuzzy arms moved with our human arms. I made a red hourglass and sewed that to the front of my shirt so I was a black widow. A year later we recycled the costumes, when, with the help of our dance instructor we choreographed a tango to the overture of The Phantom of the Opera and wore or spider costumes for a solo performance.