Monday, July 31, 2006

One Book

Sylvia has tagged me with the one book meme.

  1. One book that changed your life. The Dream of a Common Language by Adrienne Rich. I read this book of poetry in college and it was a mind expanding experience. The book snapped me out of my naive idea that language was neutral and it was only the people using language that had issues. Ha! since we create language, that language is filled with all kinds of cultural baggage. After reading this book I felt like I had awoken from a long sleep.
  2. One book that you've read more than once. Pride and Prejudice. Does this need to be explained?
  3. One book you'd want on a desert island. The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson. They contain the world.
  4. One book that made you laugh. Great Expectations. I love Mr. Wemmick and his eccentric, simple ways.
  5. One book that made you cry. The Time Traveler's Wife. As soon as I realized what was going to happen I was a goner. On a scale of one to ten hankies, it rates a ten for me.
  6. One book that you wish had been written. Whatever book was knocking around in Virginia Woolf's imagination before she killed herself.
  7. One book that you wish had never been written. The Exorcist because then it wouldn't have been made into a movie that scares the s--- out of me just thinking about it.
  8. One book you're currently reading. Swann's Way
  9. One book you've been meaning to read. Looking around at my piles of books-in-waiting my gaze lands first on Kafka on the Shore
  10. Now tag five people. Dorothy, Ella, Iliana, AC, Heather