Saturday, June 10, 2006

What I Neglected To Say

I forgot to mention on my Nancy Pearl post the books she suggested (thanks for asking Danielle!) She recommended:

  • Andersonville by MacKinlay Kantor. Supposedly it is the best novel ever written about the U.S. Civil War
  • In the Fall by Jeffrey Lent. A post Civil War to just before the Depression novel
  • Paperboy by Pete Dexter. Pearl said it has a fantastic opening line that made he fall in love with it while riding on the bus. She closed the book, held it to her chest and declared "I love this book!" The man sitting next to her promptly got up and moved to another seat several rows away. The opening sentence: "My brother was once a famous man. No one mentions that now."
  • No One Thinks of Greenland by John Griesemer. This was another one she loved for the opening:"You'll want to scratch. Don't."
  • Towers of Trebizond by Rose Macaulay. The book is a travel adventure about a group of English who journey overland to Turkey. Pearl insists it is very funny.
I fear I missed writing down a few that she just tossed off in a rush to get in as many stories as she could. Oh, and I think I also forgot to mention that she has a new book coming out next year that will be about books for children and teens.