Thursday, May 04, 2006

Reading Report

Oy, what a day! The best thing that happened was the wind into which I had to ride my bike on the way to work, was behind me on my way home. Zoom! Though I almost crashed into a tree when I whipped my head around because I thought someone was walking their cat in the park. But it was only a long haired dachshund. Must remember to be more careful at higher windblown speeds. I have nothing insightful to offer today, yet I still feel compelled to post something. So I am going to inflict upon you the list of books I am now reading. Yes, that's books. Plural. Because my plan to focus on reading only two books at a time a couple weeks ago was ruined by my voices, my current reads have blossomed out of control. And when the new Central Library opens in three weeks and releases its holdings for check out, things will get even worse. I have a list. A long list. And I must get them delivered to my branch library before the system runs out of money and I have to drive who knows where to check out books. I'm thinking of the future here. But that is not yet. At this moment I have bookmarks in:

  • Clarissa. Still. This has stalled but I am not going to give up.
  • The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene. This too has stalled. But I also refuse to give up on it because I enjoy it when I actually bother to pick it up. So why haven't I finished it? It's so much work and requires concentration, and lately I've not been in the mood for either.
  • Beyond the Promised Land by David Noble. It's a small book and I can only read it in little bits because it gets my thoughts supercharged. But I am about two-thirds through it so maybe I will make a push this weekend and see how close I can come to finishing it.
  • A Crack in the Edge of the World by Simon Winchester. I am enjoying this book very much. It isn't just about the San Francisco earthquake. It's about the formation of the earth and geology and why there are earthquakes in the first place. Fascinating stuff. Really.
  • Seeing by Jose Saramago. I haven't gotten far, but oh, this man can write!
  • The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume 3. I read Volume 2 last year and Volume 1 a year or two before that and I meant to get to Volume 3 sometime this year. But, inspired by Dorothy, I'm getting to it now. This book is a few minutes before bed book so will take many delightful months to get through.
  • Magic for Beginners by Kelly Link. The library got it to me faster than I expected. I took it to work with me today but only got to read one page because my lunch was interrupted by someone's computer crisis and someone from the phone company making an unexpected appearance. But even though I only got to read one page, I am hooked and very much looking forward to reading another page.
That makes seven--seven!--books I consider myself reading at the moment. I had better go read one now since they aren't going to read themselves (that's something my Dad used to say to me when I was a kid, only it usually went like this instead: you had better go clean your room because it's not going to clean itself. I like my version better)