Friday, April 01, 2005

Disturbing

I saw the movie A Home at the End of the World last night. It is based on the book of the same title by Michael Cunningham. Cunningham wrote the screenplay as well. I have not read the book and knew nothing about the movie so had no expectations. The movie was good, quiet with some quirky characters, much better than The Hours. There was a scene at the beginning though that was disturbing and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it all day. Very early in the film someone runs through a sliding glass door and bleeds to death from a shard of glass slicing his jugular. The thing is I didn't even see it coming so I couldn't prepare myself. What made it even more intense is that I grew up in a house with a glass door like that and my Mom was constantly worried that my sister or I would run through it. She was so worried that she had those ugly flower stickers on it for some time and then she just banned everyone from using the door altogether. My parents still live in the same house and they still don't use the door. My Mom has several large plants sitting in front it on the outside so no one can get in or out. So when the guy ran through the glass in the movie it was like all of my Mom's worst fears coming true before my eyes. And now it has been haunting me all day.