Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Miscellaneous Items

China Mieville explains some things that he knows. Here's a few of those things

  • Shave your head in the shower with a wet razor, first with the grain and then against the grain.
  • I still remember the day when someone in the playground realised China rhymed with vagina. I used to get mercilessly teased, but I loved my name. What I wanted was for everyone to stop teasing me about it.
  • Fantastic fiction covers fantasy, horror and science fiction - and it doesn't get the attention it deserves from the literati. I agree with Theodore Sturgeon's law that 90 per cent of fantasy writing is crap and 90 per cent of everything is crap.
  • The weirdest thing I ever saw was in Hyde Park. There was a crowd, I joined them, and for the next 10 minutes we stood aghast and fascinated watching a pelican eating a pigeon.
Soon there will be a new independent bookstore in Manhattan. Bless 'em, I hope they succeed If you are a Simpsons junkie, perhaps Planet Simpson is for you. Take a trip to Heidi's house in Switzerland! Unless you ski you might want to wait until summer. Some people alphabetize their books, some shove them wherever they can fit them and some sort by color (via NewPages)