Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Books: For All of Life's Moments Big or Small

The Guardian has an article about a novel that has changed your life or helped you through a crisis The project focused on women and they were allowed to choose only one book. "What one book..." is always a fun game to play. On any given day you could ask me the same question and I'd give a different answer each time. I don't think it is fair to say you can only choose one. Books are like potato chips in that way. So since I like lists and since the article made me think a little, here is a short list of books that have been and/or are important to me: Charlotte's Web by E.B. White A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Hamlet by William Shakespeare Great Expectations by Charles Dickens Dune by Frank Herbert Job: A Comedy of Justice Robert Heinlein A Wild Patience Has Taken Me This Far (poetry) by Adrienne Rich Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy A Room of One's Own (nonfiction) by Virginia Woolf Mind of My Mind by Octavia E Butler The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende Dawn by Octavia E. Butler Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury Yeah I know, I tossed in a nonfiction and a poetry book, but I couldn't help it. Ask me in a month and the list will probably change a little. Ask me in a year and there will be another book or two added. I can't add anything I've read recently. It takes time for a book to sink in and to gain perspective on life events and the books that were there. Feel free to add your own books. It's always interesting to find out what other people have special attachments to.