Saturday, November 04, 2006

Winter Reading Challenge

I had sworn off all challenges for the rest of the year, but Overdue Books has issued one that I actually have a chance of achieving. All I have to do is read five books I already own between now and January 30th. Easy right? Well, considering I have two books waiting for me at the library it might not be a walk in the park, or a piece of cake. But I will give a go. Here's my five:

  1. On Beauty and Being Just by Elaine Scarry. I got this after Dorothy had so many great posts about it. Neither my library nor any local bookstores had it so I resorted to ordering it online. And it has been languishing at the top of the pile since it arrived.
  2. Moral Disorder by Margaret Atwood. I just bought it a few weeks ago so it hasn't been hanging around long, but I really want to read it.
  3. The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. I bought this during the early summer and went to hear him talk, read the first ten pages and then suddenly I was reading all kinds of other books but this one. It's been sitting on the corner of my desk glaring at me and I just can't take it any longer!
  4. The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow. I got my hands on this one after Susan read it. I was going to start reading it right away, but you know how these things go.
  5. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome. This is also part of my Thirteen Classics in 2007 list but I have been wanting to read it for ages and I figure there's no harm in a little overlap, right?